Apple has included a new section in the domain for iCloud.com that’s going to enable users to check and determine whether an iOS device is protected by Find my iPhone Activation Lock. In other words, they will be able to check whether a sold device is stolen or not.
Check Activation Lock Status of the device
A new section comes in the form of a web page that enables anyone with the IMEI or serial number of an iDevice to check the status of Activation Lock of a specific device in an attempt to prevent themselves from buying an iOS device that can’t be activated with the credentials of the original iCloud credentials of the real owner.
In case you don’t know, Activation Lock is enabled on any device when Find My iPhone is activated within the Settings of an iPod, iPad or iPhone running iOS 7.0 or above. The function then requires an Apple ID and password of the account that activated the lock in order to carry out tasks such as disabling Find my iPhone feature, erasing all hardware data, and reactivating the device for use with another account. It is Apple’s way of protecting against theft, loss and fraud resale.
Although Activation Lock is a great thing, a big drawback is the inability of a new user to use the device once it has been purchased via secondary sales channel; when the Find my iPhone is left activated by the previous owner.
As the new addition to iCloud site; those who buy the device can use the IMEI number to check the status of the Activation Lock: Before you purchase an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from somebody else, make sure that FindMy iPhone Activation Lock is turned off and the device is ready for you to use.
How to check the Activation Lock status
- Visit the iCloud activation lock check website.
- Find & Enter your IMEI or Serial number.
- Enter the CAPTCHA security code & Press the Continue button
After entering a valid details, you will see a simple overview of the status of the Activation lock. The provided information contains confirmation of the identifier entered and the model of the device. There is also some advice about buying a used iPhone. However if the device have an iCloud lock you can use the official icloud removal service to remove the icloud activation lock.
Read on for more details on how you can check the activation lock status completely free.
If you want to completely disable the activation lock option, you need to follow these steps:
- Visit iCloud.com and log in to your apple account.
- Navigate to “Find my iPhone” -> “Devices” and you will see a list of all devices connected with your Apple ID.
- Now choose the device you want to be removed from your account and click “Remove”.
- Restart your device and set up it as normal device.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)